Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Are we a Christian Nation?

This seemed to be a bit of a question on the world wide web today. President Obama made a comment in a speech that we are not a Christian nation. Also today, Vermont voted to legalize homosexual marriage. Also this weekend, portions of an explicit movie was shown at the University of Maryland in the name of free speech. I look around at the people in my workplace, in my neighborhood, and on TV. I look at the divorce rate. I look at the abundance of ethics probes and greed. If this is what a Christian nation looks like, then yipes. So I think that the President is correct. Our nation is not a Christian nation. I wish it was, but I think that we will not be in a true Christian nation until the end times. This is not to say that we shouldn't try and influence our nation to have more Christian values. We should definitely desire for our nation to have stronger Christian values. Thoughts?

1 comment:

Rusty S. Deford said...

Just happened across this on the Pillar Church website, where my daughter and her fiance are planning on visiting soon.
re: the Christian nation- never was nor could ever be. Christian"ized", as in based (albeit remotely now) on Judeo-Christian moral principles, yes. I think Pres. BO said the right thing for the wrong reasons. This runs alongside the fact that less Americans are checking the "Christian" box in religion polls. I tend to agree w/Al Mohler that this is not a terrible thing, in that now people aren't necessarily categorizing themselves as Christian because their parents/grandparents/ancestors were, or their surname is on a church window somewhere. It is better to know where we need to start in evangelizing individuals. Israel was in the physical sense "God's people", but merely a picture of what was to come in Christ. Hearts of flesh (grace through Jesus Christ) replaced hearts of stone (mosaic law). A nation full of Christians would be nice, indeed, and something we should strive for in our seed planting. But a Christian nation- can't be.